Blueberry - 10 seeds purchased from Marc Emery at Hemp BC. Reported to have been
supplied by Sagarmatha Seeds. Reported to be mostly indica plant 2 - 3' high that matures in 45 - 55 days. Reported to produce large crystalized buds with natural occurring blueish hues and an unmistakable berry taste and aroma.
Of the ten seeds, I got 5 males and 5 females. They all started out looking very deformed with wrinkled leaves and varigation. At first I thought it was do to excessive inbreeding but later found out that the strain was treated with cholchicine. Two males and one female were precosious and would not stop flowering regardless of light cycle. These were discarded. Of the remaining 3 males, two would not shed pollen (they would flower but the pollen would not drop). These were also discarded. The fifth male (BL-9) was by far the most robust and fortunately did shed pollen. It was used to pollenate select mothers. Two of the females produced great buds that didn't smell like blueberry so seeds were collected (BL-9 was father) and then discarded. The final 2 females were what I was looking for (BL-8 & BL-10). Very robust and they produced the sweetest berry like smoke. Clones of both were kept as mothers and seeds produced with BL-9 as the father.
These clones mature at about 3 feet tall.with a few side branches.
All deformities have dissapeared in mature plants and successive clones.
They have very thick stems. The main colas are about 12" long with
tight crystaline oval buds. They appear to be well suited to sea
of green application. They have a high calyx to leaf ratio.
Buds are blueish and purpleish and smell like such sweet blueberrys.
They are not my most potent strain but are my favourite. The smoke is very sweet and good tasting and the high is uplifting and pleasant.
Started with 35 clones (18 BL-8 and 17 BL-10) that were placed into 5 gal grow bags containing the super soil mix. When they reached 20 inches, 13 were placed into flower (Group A) while the remaining 22 were pruned back to 12 inches. When these 22 clones reached about twenty inches, 10 were placed into flower (Group B). The remaining 12 (Group C) were pruned back to 18" and placed into flower when they reached 20".
These clones were grown amongst other clones in a 12 by 12 area lit by 2 1000w HPS and 1 1000w MH on a fast moving suncircle. One HPS was in a horizontal reflector, one in a vertical reflector and the MH was in a parabolic reflector. This worked out to about 20w per sq ft.
All weights are dry weights unless otherwise specified.
Group A harvest:
Harvested main colas and then let the rest of the plant continue for a week so that the lower buds would fill out. tops = 8.52oz rest = 3.55 total = 12.07oz mean = .92oz per plant
Each plant took up 1.5 sq ft for a total of 19.5 sq ft. This means
that I yielded .61oz per sq ft. by growing the plants in their natural
form (no pruning).
Group B harvest
Harvested main colas and then let the rest of the plant continue for a week so that the lower buds would fill out. tops = 10.02oz rest = 9.15oz total = 19.17oz mean = 1.9oz per plant
Each plant took up 1.5 sq ft for a total of 15 sq ft. This means that by pinching the tops, I yielded 1.28 oz per sq ft. This is a 109% increase at a cost of 2 weeks veg time.
If the entire 12 by 12 area was filled in this
way, a total of 1.28 * 144 = 184.32oz (11.5 lbs) would be produced by just
3 lights. This works out to be about 3.8 lbs per light over a 7 week
flower period. Pretty efficient for a low yielding stain such as
blueberry!!! Didn't even use CO2!
I harvested these all at once as there were no big main colas. I got a total of 7.75 oz and an average of .64 oz per plant.
Each plant took up 1.5 sq ft for a total of 18 sq ft. This means
that by pinching the tops twice, I yielded .43 oz per sq ft.
This is definately NOT the way to go.
Return to BCG main page